- 1 cup diced butternut squash
- ¼ cup raw cashews soaked in 1 cup water for at least 30 minutes
- 1 cup water
- 4 oz jar pimentos, drained
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- Steam butternut squash for 20-30 minutes until cooked through. Set aside to cool.
- Drain and rinse soaked cashews. In a blender cashews with 1 cup of water for a minute until you get a smooth cashew cream. Now place the rest of the ingredients in the blender with the cashew cream and blend until you get a very smooth orange sauce. Blend about 2 minute in a high speed blender or about 4-5 minutes in a regular blender.
- Pour the sauce in a small saucepan over medium heat cook whisking continuously for 2-3 minutes until it thickens. Serve queso warm or at room temperature with baked tortilla chips or vegetables.