This dish is popularly known as ‘Pulao’ Traditionally Pulao is made with while Basmati rice, to make it a little healthier, I add quinoa to this recipe.
Ingredients for 4 servings
- 1/2 cup Basmati Rice
- ½ cup Quinoa
- 1/4 tsp olive/canola oil
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 3 green cardamom, lightly cracked
- 1” cinnamon stick
- 2 whole cloves
- ½ medium sized yellow/red onion, finely chopped
- 1 serrano chili pepper cut lengthwise in 2
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1 cup chopped Cauliflower
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1 red potato, diced small
- salt to taste ( ¼ -½ tsp)
- ½ tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp turmeric powder (optional, this will make the dish bright yellow)
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup frozen green peas, thawed
- Soak rice and quinoa for 20 minutes. Rinse, drain and keep aside.
- To the hot pan, add oil. Once oil is hot add cumin seeds, green cardamom, cinnamon and cloves and then quickly add onion. Cook for 2 minutes just to sweat the onion then add serrano pepper and ginger, cook another minute.
- Add cauliflower, carrot and potatoes and stir for 2 minutes now add salt, garam masala and turmeric powder (if using), Cook 1 more minute, now add water and bring it to a boil, add rice and cilantro. Once it comes to a boil, reduce the heat to simmer, cook covered for 20 minutes. Fluff rice with a fork sprinkle peas on top and put the lid back on. Leave it covered until ready to serve.
Note: Use of turmeric makes the rice yellow in color and adds ton of flavor.